This morning I awoke to a new day - as a blogger. I wondered how I would look at the day's events differently and if I would be inspired to post something. I didn't have to wait long...
I'm a rule keeper. Always have been. I don't know why, but I do know that most of my life I've been the "good kid." Now that is not to say at all that I didn't or don't break rules - but that's a blog for another day. :-). For the most part, I follow the rules. Speed limits would be an exception to that...
As we had kids and began to nurture the rule-follower in each of them, I realized there needed to be a deeper motivation to follow rules. After all, not everyone is a rule-follower at heart. This rule-keeping value needed to be about something more. And most times we have argued about rules with our kids, it has become a moment to shine light on the bigger value of that rule. Sometimes it's a matter or respecting authority, other times it's considering how those around them are impacted.
Fast forward to this morning. I walk our dog almost every day. Today was no different -we headed out for our daily constitution. Ziggy, of course, was on a leash. Because that's the rule in our town and I follow the rules, remember? Well, one dog in our neighborhood was not on a leash. He (an un-neutered pitbull) saw us coming and sauntered toward us. I practiced my dog-whisperer, calm, assertive energy, so as not to alarm Ziggy. The first split second of our encounter seemed innocent enough... and then he pounced. Actually, he attacked. Teeth and all. The owner was immediately on him, trying to get him off Ziggy. After getting her dog off mine, she put him in her car (where was she taking him without a leash?)
I immediately checked my now-shaking dog for blood - I only found chunks of fur. I then checked the address of the house. I even lingered a bit waiting for an "I'm so sorry" or "Is she ok?" Nope. Nada..... Honestly? Maybe she lost the leash? Just tell me! Acknowledge me!
It seems that people sometimes don't get that "rules" are not about the rules. They're about something bigger. Dog leash rules are not meant to inconvenience us. It's to keep dogs within their boundaries, and to keep other dogs and people safe. It prevents division between neighbors - so one doesn't have to report the other, or confront them about damage done. It allows a friendly "good morning" and prevents a cold lack of acknowledgement. The dog leash rule is about community. This is about that.
So what other rules do you see devalued? Which ones do you devalue? I've already confessed on the speed limit thing, but I keep it within 5mph. Mostly. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment