Friday, June 5, 2009

I love my dog because...

she's a rule-follower at heart. That is, if dogs have a heart. The soul kind of heart, I mean. I know she has a literal heart, because today is the day she takes her monthly heartguard meds. Anyhow...


One of the rules in our house is about her bones. She loves to chew on real bones, but we have hardwood floors downstairs, and when she plays with her bones they nick the floor. So we have used what we have learned from Cesar, the dog-whisperer (yes we are huge fans) to train her to take the bone to the carpet.


Anytime she is chewing on the bone on the wood floor we know because it is really loud. Most of the time after one "clunk" noise on the floor she picks up her bone and takes it to a carpet. If not, we just say her name and she complies.


Well this morning she was trying to get her bone out of the crate she sleeps in. [Yes she is crated at night and mostly when we leave the house because there is one rule she does NOT follow when we are away. She likes to sneak onto the leather sofa and lounge, which is NOT allowed. So I guess she's only a rule-follower when we are home...] But I digress.


In trying to get her bone out of the crate, it got knocked off her cushion and onto the hard plastic bottom and began making a clunking noise as she tried to wedge it out of the corner. So she promptly stopped and sat down next to it, looking at me. I finally figured out that she was waiting for me to get the bone for her. Then she obediently took it to the rug and began chewing.



I love this dog.



1 comment: