Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-day: never forgetting this is about that

It's D-Day. A day we will never forget.

Today is a day for generations to remember and to learn that this is really about that. So many sacrificed their own lives to face evil and defeat it so that other nations could enjoy peace and freedom from tyranny. And so many families sacrificed their loved ones.

I have two uncles and one grandfather who served in World War II. They all lived to tell about it, though there wasn't much "telling". I think any talking they did about their experiences was to the ones they were closest to. In fact, growing up, the only way I knew they had served was through the pictures of them in uniform.

There was one day, back in the 80's when I got my grandfather to open up. I think I was in high school - and we were at my grandparents' visiting. We always loved to visit Grandma and Grandpa McNutt. They owned an old-fashioned drugstore in a small town in Oklahoma. As kids we would help serve from the soda fountain, help clean up, and then head home where they would play cards with us and teach us to belch properly. And Grandma Jane would eat the fun cereals all year, and save up all the prizes and put them in a special drawer just for us. That's the first place we went when we arrived at their house to visit.

When I was in high school, Grandma Jane was suffering from cancer, and many times our visits were spent mostly with Grandpa. On this one visit I remember asking him about the war. And it was like I opened a floodgate. He started talking; then he pulled out scrapbooks and letters that he and my Gradmother exchanged while he was away. I was mesmerized - never had I heard a personal story from that perspective. That was the biggest blessing that I ever received from my Grandpa. And I hope in some way I blessed him when I thanked him for all he sacrificed.

Here is a photo of my Grandpa McNutt and my dad. The first few years of my dad's life, his dad was away at war.


While we lived in England, we experienced a totally different remembering. They are country that was impacted in a far deeper way. Not only do they have physical reminders all around them of damage done, but it is deep in their souls. They all lived it. And with each personal story we heard, and each community we saw impacted, it seeped into our souls just a little deeper.


So to Grandpa McNutt, and to Uncle Johney and Uncle Jack, THANK YOU. And to all the families who stayed behind and waited, THANK YOU. And to all those who gave their lives, and to their families, THANK YOU.

Here is my Uncle Jack...






And my Uncle Johney with his baby sister (my mom)



Tonight we will watch Saving Private Ryan, as we do every June 6th. And if we owned Band of Brothers that would be on the list for this week. Because in this house, we will never forget that fighting a war - and putting their lives in danger, some losing their lives, was for the freedoms and peace we enjoy now. This was about that.

1 comment:

  1. THAT'S why y'all were watching Saving Private Ryan:)

    ReplyDelete