I’ve thought a lot about letting go recently. That’s because our first-born heads to college this week.
I keep reminding myself that the move to college is just one more step in letting go. After all, as parents we have been letting go bit by bit as our kids grow and develop.
- That first time you leave her in the care of a sitter
- Her first day ever of preschool – and then kindergarten, then middle school, then high school
- Her first sleepover
- Her first “sleep-away” camp or conference
- That first time she drives away in a car without you
- That first time she travels to a different country without you
- Her first date
So moving to college is just another step, right?
That’s what I keep telling myself. Our job as parents is to equip them to venture out on their own. To teach, guide, correct and encourage so they are ready to embrace these moments.
So here we go… letting go.

you've done a fabulous job raising your daughter...now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor as you see her put what you've taught her into practice and become the woman God is shaping her to be.
ReplyDeleteblech--letting go stinks. but be proud--she's awesome!
thinking of you this week!
ReplyDeletemaybe we should have told her that walking down the middle of a train track isn't necessary the safest way to go :)
ReplyDeleteI'll try to help look after her. I do a lot of counseling for the kids that work at Carmichael, never realized that was part of the job when I took the position. You are a great mom and Chelsea seems like a wonderful young lady.
ReplyDelete